Homeowners continue to drive the rise in remodeling spending, driven by the continuous rise in real estate property value prices, opposed to the cost of moving to a larger home. Basement renovations are expected to be a hot trend in 2016, as homeowners look to utilize all potential living space and remodel rather than purchase a new home.
While remodeling your basement can be a great way to increase living space, there will still be some problems that homeowners must be aware of when remodeling basements that are below the grade of your home. Most importantly choosing the right professional basement remodeling contractor like Home Improvement Guyz is where it all starts. Also using the right components in the renovation is essential to the atmosphere and safety of your new basement remodel. Keep in mind the components should be energy efficient and designed for protection of the occupants from fire and noise. Look for products that help to maximize energy efficiency and protect against moisture, fire and noise.
Here are the top points to consider, ensuring a successful basement renovation.
- Waterproofing: Inspect the interior foundation walls and floors to make sure there are no cracks, moisture issues, water damage or mold problems. Institute a plan to correct moisture issues before doing any work to the space. Inspect the exterior grading to ensure water is running away from the foundation.
- Insulate: Insulation is a critical component in making your basement feel comfortable. To achieve the best results, install a rigid board insulation against the concrete foundation walls before you stud the wall. The board can be mechanically fastened or adhered to the concrete foundation wall. The insulation board will prevent thermal bridging through the studs, increasing overall thermal performance. Fill the wall pockets with a moisture-resistant and dimensionally stable insulation, in order to protect against some common basement issues such as mold, mildew.
- Design: Create well thought out architectural plans, carefully taking into consideration any low ceilings or small windows. Whenever possible try to incorporate structural features, such as attractive wood beams into your design. Keep the floor plan as open as possible. Select proper lighting that provides a bright, airy feel to compliment the open floor plan.
- Soundproof: Soundproofing is the ultimate solution to maximize your basement’s quiet and privacy. Regardless whether your space will function as a home theatre, music room, home office or playroom, it will greatly benefit from quality acoustic insulation.
- Fire Safety: Trends have many basements now being renovated and remodeled as income suites, making fire protection a vital consideration. Whenever possible, select building materials with a high fire-resistance rating and look for products that will not contribute to toxic smoke in the event of a fire. Include additional exits in your basement renovation or basement remodeling plan and educate yourself on your local building and fire code.
Before you start the basement renovation or basement remodel, always be sure to check with your municipality and secure any permits necessary to ensure that you’re compliance with local municipality and building codes. Finishing a basement remodel can be a smart renovation and when done properly, add value to your home increasing its worth, and protect your investment.